Saturday, 25 April 2015

Scrappy quilt 2

Last year, I taught a class on how to make the scrappy quilt and decided to make another one, this time it was for my parents for Christmas. I used different colours.

It is the same pattern as the previous post and as you can see just how different the quilt looks in different shades.

As this was a gift and a lot bigger, it went to a long arm professional quilter to quilt. I can see all sorts of potential for another style, maybe in dark and light blues with this quilt. It is easy to make and and if you make a whole block one at a time, seems to speed along quite well :) This quilt fits a Queen sized bed, it has more blocks than the previous one.

Scrappy quilt 1

Three years ago I started making a scrappy quilt out of 2 1/2 inch blocks - it was fun and I loved working with the bright colours.

Armed with a few squares - I started

I found I could do 1 or 2 blocks during the evening and they didn't take long.

This is one block - there are many ;)

The white with blue flowers is for the sashing and the blue for the border.

I pre-cut the sashing ready to go

Over the years, you will get to know this doorway as it is the easiest place to display the quilts :)

And then, after much difficulty and a little bit of unpicking and a lot of moaning and grumbling I managed to quilt it myself.

I used variegated thread.

Going from corner to corner and ditch stitched along the sashing lines - not a happy time for me doing that - ditch stitching isn't one of my fortes.

..and always one of my favourite sights, seeing the binding rolled read to go :)

And finally the finished quilt :)

Flutterbies in blue

Some of you may remember this post from 2012 -> Flutterbies post tutorial sort of - over time I have learnt to change my way of making the hexagons. Now, I just sew the fabric folds together and not through the cardboard. Way better on my hands and the cardboard/papers last longer :) Also, I can leave the thread in the back of the hexagon and it keeps it tidy and flat.

So an up-date... I finally finished the quilt top.

I chose to edge it with more of the butterfly fabric and the binding will be the same fabric.

It has been fun to make, a few headaches, a lot of unpicking and re-sewing but we got there in the end. A special thanks to Kelly for the Butterfly fabric :)

Friday, 27 June 2014

Dancing in the Rain quilt for my son

This week I finished a single bed sized quilt for my teenage son. He helped choose the fabric. Dancing in the Rain Batiks by Laundry Basket Quilts for Moda Fabrics.

I used 5 charm packs plus some yardage of green bought here in New Zealand which I supplemented some squares with and used for the binding.

It was backed with tan polar fleece and machine quilted by my friend Dawn, who does an awesome job.

My son always helps with holding up the quilt for me to photograph, my friends are really getting to know his fingers and sometimes feet now ;)

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Owls for my daughter

You may remember over two years ago this post --> Home to Roost designed by Jeanette Osborn Finally, the quilt is finished. The single quilt, turned into a King sized quilt :)

The fabric chosen by my daughter

One of the owls cut out and half sewn onto the block

Here he is finished with a frame around

Next step cutting strips of fabric and sorting them colourwise

Ready to go

As you can see, it is quite slow moving.

So you can guess how I spent my time over Christmas

Tacking all done, now drawing the lines for quilting
The fight with the sewing machine

All finished and now gone to live in Auckland with my daughter

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Tote Bags!

Recently, I started to make bags, little bags, medium bags and big bags. Once I started, I found I really had trouble stopping.

We'll start with the latest one I made. A friend admired my other bags and said she would like one too. So off we went down to the quilt shop - always never a chore going there and we rummaged around the fat quarter boxes and she chose the following colours.

Before the bag is put together you sew it all up like below.

Of course at this stage I hadn't realised that I'd sewn the leaf pattern upside down, it wasn't until AFTER quilting it I found that out. So out came the quick unpick - we are great friends - we have a love/hate relationship.

Anyway, moving on... ta da!

Leaves the right way up here :D

This is the inside, a pocket for a phone and keys. I'm always rummaging around the bottom of my bag looking for these things.

This is a little bag to go with the above bag.

Here you can see the ratio here.

First bag I made. This one is a bit smaller and has long handles.

Using different colours.

A little bag for sewing things

I did say at the beginning that I had trouble stopping...

And finally the last one I've made. The fabric was a Christmas present from  More Than Fields of Wheat
So I made this pretty bag and below you can see inside.

A pocket for that elusive phone.

And finally, I'm done :) - Certainly has been fun making these bags.

Saturday, 27 April 2013

Hunter Star

I made this quilt for my niece and her husband as a wedding present.

I have to admit the Hunter Star design is not for the faint hearted as it is quite fiddly and time consuming, but I am very pleased with the result and now it resides in its new home.

Triangles cut ready. The Kona Black fabric was not easy to tell which was which side, so it had to be marked with white chalk to make sure I got it showing the same way.

First of many blocks made.  This design suits two colours very well. Black and red was requested.

The finished quilt. I pieced all the material together and a lovely lady quilted it for me.

I don't feel confident enough yet to quilt on my little sewing machine yet, when it comes to big things like Weddings gifts.